Sunday, March 2, 2014

Social experiments...I mean experiences. Part 2

So thus far we have old people and rude people, right? Well there's nothing wrong with old people, I'm just not looking to date them or become besties with them, although I'm sure they're nice people...
So I continue to try more things in the months into 2013.
To jog my memory on all the crazy fun people I've met and gotten to experience, I went to my text messages, from the friend that told me to write all this down. Now I work with a lot of let's just say "interesting" people. I can't really write about them fully, for fear that I'd get in trouble some how, breaking confidentiality or something like that. But I have to tell this story. Since I go to homes and work with families, sometimes the moms get a little too comfortable and sometimes get a little too involved in my life or offer "suggestions" of sorts. You know because I'm still single and I need a man to make my life complete. But this lady's helpful tip takes the cake: All I need is to be inseminated by a 'smart guy,' and I'll have that baby I'm apparently missing from my life. And I don't even have to pay money at some clinic. I just have to put out applications and then tell the guy to close his eyes, or I can use her brother, because apparently he's a 'smart cookie.' Yep. So I'm totally not making that up, and she was totally serious about all that. People are...let's say unique. And that's what's so great about them. Never a dull moment. Maybe it's my job that wears me out on having to use my social skills on a wide variety of truly different and sometimes difficult people, or maybe I just like dogs and cats more, but I do prefer to be home a lot of the time, rather than navigating the waves of the social scenes of a group, much less at a bar or club. I have been to the local and only lesbian bar. Well actually now there's 2, the second one being way more casual and if I had to choose, I'd go there and sit on the roof couches quietly observing people. I feel like I read people way too well. A causality of my job, learning what you can and can't say and treading lightly and reacting to all types of people, who honestly have pretty stressful lives, compared to mine. I've learned it's best to just listen. Actually that's something I've been really good at my entire life. Growing up I was the world's best listener to all my friends. But it came at a price, because I felt like they never asked me how I was doing or ever wanted to hear what I had to say. Looking back that was probably just typical teen girls. Teens are very self-involved. But just because I was quiet and trustworthy and a very loyal friend, doesn't mean that I didn't have anything to say on my own. I did speak up once about it at a retreat, with my whole group of friends there. I think everyone was stunned into silence that I talked so much at one time. But I was grateful to have friends, mostly being in my youth group at church. I wasn't by any means popular, but I did have friends and was included with them, for the most part, and that was a wonderful thing for a shy teen girl.
There was one time where I had the opposite problem. I had too much attention and had a close group of friends that I hung out with all the time, and this was not in college. I had the most friends I ever had at one given time, when I was in college. It was one of the best times of my life. But the other best time of my life was when I lived in Colorado. I moved there all alone and didn't know anyone. I remember pretty soon after moving there I went to this church's young adult group. And it just so happened that it was the Sunday that they were starting up small groups and a leader from each group was pitching and promoting theirs. It wasn't a hard sell, because the second that guy quoted Napoleon Dynamite saying that if we came to their group " all of our dreams would come true," I knew that that group was for me. And it was. A great mix of guys and gals. I made a best friend for awhile through them. I dated a guy when we merged with his group later. One of the funniest and only times I felt not only "not invisible" to guys, but also "fought" for, was on my 25th birthday. We were all at my apartment having a party and watching Napoleon Dynamite (of course), and I had one guy on either side of me, literally each one trying to out quote the other throughout the whole movie. Like it was a war for my love, whoever knew more, won me. I also had had 2 dates, one with each of them, on the 2 days leading up to my birthday. If you know me you would know that this is unheard of! It was like a Twilight who will she choose conundrum...way before Twilight existed. I was only interested in one of them, so it was made clear quickly and painlessly. Well I hope so. I didn't even realize the other guy liked me until he took me to a steak restaurant for my birthday and had flowers delivered by the waiter to our table! It's still one of the very very few, romantic things anyone has ever done for me. He's married now, so it worked out great for him anyway. But that was one of my better and happier social experiences. Ain't attention grand??!
Well sometimes attention is grand. It felt nice to be liked by 2 guys at the same time. But when you're a brand new baby to a world that you know nothing about, and a girl tells the whole group at a church Coming out workshop that you're dating, when you didn't even know you were. That kind of attention is a little on the awkward side. It was probably all me. I've never really dated. I was boyfriend/girlfriend with my 2 guys straight away. It was a friends and then we're dating, situation. People use the term dating, in the literal sense I guess. That you are going out on a date with that person. I had agreed to a date, but I actual thought it was a hang out thing, and being completely new to this whole girl thing, I didn't even realize it was real. I thought you hang out until someone asks to truly "date" you or be your girlfriend. So when she says "well I'm dating this one" and thumb points to me, I almost started to look around to see who she was pointing to. Unfortunately it scared me away to maybe giving her a real chance. We had hung out in groups and we went on a date on valentines day, (should've been obvious right), but I didn't see us being more than friends. She was like Valedictorian smart, and I guess it intimidated me. And even though she tried to back track and say she wanted to just be friends and that she really needed a friend, that didn't end up being the case, because she found a girlfriend almost immediately afterwards, and I never saw her again. I could've used a friend. But 'tis life. I did make one friend out of all these social get togethers and what nots. I met a guy in the same coming out workshop that just so happened to live 4 houses down! So we get the opportunity to hang out more than most. It's kinda like how it was in college. When people lived with you or 2 feet away. Good times...
Now I did go to a happy hour a time or two. At this one I was super proud of myself for making the rounds around the room, head held high and showing off my black skinny jeans, and how great I look in them. But again, I don't drink, so I don't really fit in there at all. I gave all those venues at least 5 tries, so it's not like I'm not giving it my all. I am looking forward to this new young adult church group. It's what I'm used to. My whole childhood/college/beyond, has always been that socialization and possibly dating opportunities are only found in a church setting (or a Baylor Christian social group, which is the same thing). So here's hoping that magic strikes again!
Well, since no more interesting social experiences are jumping out at me, I guess this blog has reached it's end. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, and I'm sure there are more to come, but until then keep on truckn', right??!

No comments:

Post a Comment