Monday, January 2, 2017

this is the last blog about the lake, I swear.




I grabbed a cinnamon sugar twisty donut this morning at my local donut shop and headed to my lake. My side. The side I always go to. But when I got to the fork in the road I could go left or right. Right would be where I always go, so I decided in a split second to go left. I took it down and realized it was where I was yesterday. Yep back with the birds. Except this time there was only one white pelican. One. He looked as if he was saying, “uh…Mike? Stan? Lila? Hey where are you guys?” He was left. Or they asked him to go but he said “nah bro, I’m good.” It’s fun to make animals talk…
So I headed back to my side, my spot. There’s a hill here that overlooks the lake. I don’t think I’ve been here at this exact time before because today I noticed how the sun silhouetted off the lake, making it shimmer as if it were full of diamonds. It sparkled and it was gorgeous. Early this morning around 530am it was storming. I awoke to thunder, lightning and heavy rain. But now it’s clear blue skies and sun, a perfect 65. I wish it never got warmer than this. But this is Texas and I know better than that. I’ll just appreciate what we have currently- a cool breeze. Oh look! I just noticed a pelican gliding by! Oh good. Carl’s friend is coming back. Or girlfriend…or boyfriend, I don’t judge. Good for him. Oops or not. He’s detoured it out into the lake and not back where they were all hanging out yesterday, in the little cove where I just saw our friend all alone. Pelican commentary aside, this has been a pleasant 10 days. I’ve enjoyed having something to do every day on my 10 days off. It’s given me something to look forward to and I’m grateful for that. I certainly wouldn’t have come here if I didn’t live 2 mintues away, so I’m blessed to live so close. Just like life, these days at the lake have all been different. Some days it was clear blue skies and sun, perfect temperatures. Some days it was extremely windy and cold, cloudy and it even rained a little one day. This lake is like a metaphor for life, for yourself. There are so many sides to life, to you. Don’t be afraid to explore them and to go outside your comfort zone. If I continued to come to this same spot I always did because it was so close to my house, I would never have known about the migrating white pelicans. Or the statue of the shirtless man who helped to build this great lake. I wouldn’t have seen those Christmas red berries or that dock that was in the shape of a T. I wouldn’t have seen that light that broke through the clouds and shined down onto the lake and inspired a new story. Or that cloud shaped like a whale with the pink orange sun as its eye, which ate up my anger. Exploration is good for the soul. It’s good for the mind, the body and the heart. I liked walking the shores, never staying on the concrete path, but on the uneven grasses that kinda hurt my feet. Plus looking at large open waters is just so extremely peaceful. I like wide open spaces. I’m a little claustrophobic, so if I have to be around people, I’d prefer it in a setting like this. There were days when there were quite a few people out, due to the perfect weather. But they were spread out. Even when they were near me, they were still in their own world and I in mine. I kinda like it that way. I think I kinda like being left alone. I know I do. I still would like that one person to come into my little world and want to live in it with me. I would go into hers and I would let her take me out into the world, but I like my world and I like my home. I like my lake.

As I got back into my car and drove away, my favorite song of all time, came on the radio. It’s even been my ringtone for literally the length of time Mollie’s been alive, so 4 years. Before I had her, it was just about me and my life, but once I got her and it was playing in the car on the way to the vet right after I picked her up, it became our song. The lyrics will always hold true. They are about my life and what I desire…I just make it about Mollie for the time being, but deep down I’ll always know what it really means to me. *“I’ve been trying to do it right. I’ve been living a lonely life. I’ve been sleepin’ here instead. I’ve been sleepin’ in my bed. So show me family. All the blood that I will bleed. I don’t know where I belong. I don’t know where I went wrong. But I can write a song” or a story…or a blog. And so I shall. So that’s the end of the 10 day journey around the lake and through my head. I’ll be taking a little break and go back to writing the blog whenever something sparks or I need to work through something. I know it kind of felt forced at times, so thanks for sticking with me.

So stay tuned for your local programming…aka my old blog. See ya again in a month or so…for non-lake related blogging. Peace out. Don’t forget to tip your waitress.

*lyrics by The Lumineers- "Ho Hey"

No comments:

Post a Comment