Sunday, April 6, 2014

My review and thoughts on the series finale of HIMYM

"You're totally in our gang now, and once you're in, you're in for life." What great words, uttered by Lily to Robin, back when they first met in 2005. Funny coincidence, but I have to mention that I met my best friend Bekah in 2005. I know the date, September 6, 2005 because that's the day I started working where she had just starting working at, and we became immediate friends. How I met your mother first aired September 19, 2005. And like Robin, I know I will be best friends for life with my "Lily", even through a marriage and 3 children. I have no doubts that our friendship will last forever, no matter where we both live. But in my case, unlike Robin, I keep in touch with my bestie on a weekly daily basis (or more), so we are different in that way. Ok, random tangent connection over.

After 9 seasons, "How I met your mother" ended their story. Their story that claimed was about how Ted met the mother of his children, as told to his teenage children. But like the children saw from the beginning, and finally spoke up when their father was done telling the story, this story was not about how he met their mother, because that was a very small part of the 9 year story. It was about how much he loved his close friend and on and off again girlfriend Robin, and how ultimately (as the kids pointed out and gave their blessing to their father), he should be with her! And as much as I really loved "the mother" we find is named Tracy...she was literally like he's other half and exactly like him in every way and a perfect match, life doesn't always happen the way you want it to. People get sick and die. Sure the writers could've changed that, seeing as this was a TV show and not a documentary, but they didn't. They chose to shock us and give us an ending that they have been creating and setting up from the very beginning. Because yes, the show is called "How I met you Mother," and yes they did live up to that literally, but we knew very little about the mother the whole series, and very much about Robin. We knew most importantly that Robin did not ever want to have children of her own, and then later she found out she couldn't even have children. Children played into how everyone's lives would change (for the better of course), except for with Robin, whether she purposely left herself out, or it was just life. Friends with kids are very busy people (as they should be, because raising a child properly takes everything you are). Whichever way you want to look at it, Robin's story did not involve children. She wasn't meant to be a mother, and that's ok. If she had remained with Barney, would their love be enough? Barney is a sex crazed addict, bless his heart, and he definitely grew on me as a character when he truly fell for Robin, but I never believed that Robin was fully on board truly in love with him. They dated seriously once and broke up, that really should have been an indication. Robin's job has always been very important to her, that was never in question. So Barney knew what he was getting into, but sometimes you just don't really know, until you're really in it I guess. And in the end it was too much for them. When Barney and Robin's marriage ended after 3 years (which is longer than I expected it to), and Barney went back to his old ways, I literally cringed. I hated him like that. The only way I tolerated it was because I would tell myself that he isn't a sleazy womanizer in real life. The actor is in fact gay, married and has 2 kids. Somehow this made me feel better about him...
So when Barney held his baby girl in his arms I was squealing with delight to hear him talk about her in a way that was clear she was going to change him into a normal, respectable human being that didn't see girls as objects to conquer and sleep with, but as precious jewels that need to be loved and valued. He even used the line he had previously used to make a point that he was never going to fall in love with a girl again, like he did Robin.  "You are the love of my life. Everything I have and everything I am is yours forever." Quite perfect for his new little bundle of love. It was so beautiful and peaceful to see Barney change this way. His character always unsettled me, and I am very happy that the writers chose to change him in this way, because I know that a child can change a person for real, and in a positive way. In fact, if Barney and Robin hadn't divorced, he might not have truly changed, like he did for his little girl. He needed that baby. Whose to say he wouldn't have cheated on Robin, since she was gone so much? In the end, what was best for him, and for Robin, came to be. I think it was perfect for everyone.
I love how supportive and trusting and encouraging Tracy was of Robin. Most women would never want their husbands to be in the same room with a woman they dated and were in love with for so long, as Ted was for Robin. When you find out that Tracy convinced Robin to come to the wedding, after what seemed like a few years at least since the gang had all been together, that was really special and kind of her. Even though I didn't see it coming, Robin and Ted ending up together after she was gone, it was nice to see that Tracy was so accepting of Robin and in a way it shows that she would "approve" of them getting back together, if she were to ever die before Ted. As weird as that would sound and even though that wasn't something I'm sure they ever talked about as a scenario, even when she was dying. Maybe at some point in the years following her death, Ted had thought somewhat about Robin, but I don't think it was in a realistic way, that anything would ever happen again with them. His own children pointing out his love for her, was what really awoke him to the idea again, at least in a real possibility kind of way.
When lily made  that toast to ted "a man with more emotional endurance than anyone I know. it was a long difficult road, thank God we finally got here." I felt like that could be my toast from my friends, who have been with me though all these years alone, 7 plus. Those that have been there through the breakups being that. I loved her little toast, it summed up a lot and voiced her happiness that Ted found the girl that wanted the same things he did.

And then in Ted's last monologue to his children, over scenes of his life with his wife and children; he made the most important of all speeches he's ever given. (somewhat summarized) " ...but I'm glad it was long and difficult, because if I hadn't gone through Hell to get there, the lesson might not have been as clear. And that lesson is- right from the moment I met your mom I knew. I have to love this woman as much as I can and for as long as I can, and I can never stop loving her, not even for a second. I carried that lesson with me, through everything that life threw at us...and when she got sick, even then all I could do was thank God thank, thank every God there is or ever was or will be and the whole universe and anyone else I could possibly thank; that I saw her and had the guts to stand up, walk over, tap her on the shoulder, open my mouth and speak..." wise words Ted Mosby, wise words. And even more simplistic, Tracy's words (under the yellow umbrella, the token of the show, what brought them together, what they shared without realizing till now) "it's funny how sometimes you just find things." I love that line. It's like the Universe or God at work in your life, whatever you believe in. It shows that you do have to take advantage of those moments the Universe gives you. Maybe nothing will come from it, but you've got to be brave and try, because it might just be your "girl with the yellow umbrella."

And then there's the out spoken daughter, Penny. Calling her Dad out. "that's it?? no. I don't buy it. That is not the reason you made us listen to this...mom was hardly in this story. this is a story about how much you're in love with Aunt Robin." It's funny how the kids not only "see it" but they obviously really like her, and not just give their blessing, but push him a little to call her. Of course we know that Ted is not into small gestures of declaring love. And that's when the blue French horn makes another reappearance, and thus "saves the day." Robin's face when she sees that blue French horn and knows immediately it's significance and what Ted is asking of herm, it's just absolutely priceless.  It just sums up the whole show, and is my favorite moment in the entire series. You know that this time, there's no reason for them to break up. They don't want different things. They both got what they wanted, separately, and now all they want is each other. It is a happily ever after moment. It might not have been what all the viewers wanted, but this viewer was happy. And this viewer wrote them off a long time ago, because I knew she wasn't the mother, and that meant she wasn't "the one" for Ted. But who ever said there's only ONE? There are no rules. Love is love. When both people know and choose love, that's when it's right, that's when it's meant to be. You're not a slave to what happens to you, it doesn't have to defeat you, you are free to make choices and free to love. That's why this is the greatest love story I've ever seen portrayed on TV. It's got more heart than any other sitcom. It went into the depths, but still had humor. You cared what happened to each individual character, even sex crazed Barney. It made you laugh and cry. It did what a really good show is supposed to do. It made you feel.

So Bravo, writers! Bravo, actors! You did a wonderful job, telling an incredibly (long) but amazing story of love, loss, friendship and family. I'm going to miss this show. It's on a short list of the best written shows of all time. I don't think we'll have something that compares to the depth and great story telling like this one, for a long time, if ever again. It was legen...wait for it...dary.

No comments:

Post a Comment