Saturday, September 13, 2014

cheers to connecting!


It only takes one chance meeting with one person, to restore your faith in humanity again. To make you believe in love. Or in this case, tonight, to make you believe it IS possible to connect with someone again, to make a new friend again. You go so long feeling alone, feeling left out, feeling forgotten, feeling unimportant to the people and friends you once were “special” or important to, that you completely lose hope that it will ever happen again with someone new. You forget that it happened before. That it had to have happened before or you wouldn’t have those other friends that you hardly ever see anymore. It totally IS possible and CAN happen again. I’m not one of those really social people that just chats up everybody and is “friends” with everyone or thinks that they are. Actually they probably are. All those people would consider that person their friend, what the actual outgoing person thinks about who truly is their friend, well I don’t know because I’m not that outgoing person. But I kinda was tonight. When you’re standing there talking to 3 other woman and the conversation is interesting to you, then you join in, right? I felt like between me and this other girl who I already think is a new friend after just one evening together, we were doing the most talking out of the 4 of us. I wasn’t the shy one this time. This rarely happens. I read people so well, like TOO well, so often I see boredom or uninterest in their eyes, I stop talking, I close up, I shut down. I shut up and let the type A person take over, the outgoing one, the joke teller, the scene stealer, the one with all the stories. But when I see the other 3 woman staring back at me with interest on their faces about what I’m saying and are commenting back about what I said, man I took that and ran with it. And I didn’t look back. I was interesting and funny and had stories and experiences to share. I wasn’t doing all the talking, which is not the way it should ever be anyway. It was well balanced, at least 2 out of 4…sometimes 3. I made sure I looked at each girl, even the one that hardly talked, because I AM that girl, most of the time, and I hate being left out. Thank God we were in a home and not a bar. There is no way I would’ve been heard by a single person, if we were anywhere with loud drunk people and music. I know that for a fact. I was even standing on the other side of an island, and I still was heard. This is a big deal people. I’m used to not being heard, I’m either not loud enough or not interesting enough, I don’t know. I’ve literally stopped talking before because I said things and nobody responded to them. Well that wasn’t this night. This night was awesome. I’m even going to brunch tomorrow with some of the same girls and some new ones. I think I made a new friend tonight. I could just tell. Really connecting with someone and feeling heard and responded to, with interest…well that’s not something I experience very often. It either takes a lot for me to find that, or I’m too picky. Either way, it felt really good. It made me happy. It made me feel connected to real people in the world again. And not just the ones I create in my writing. And that is always a good thing ;o)

                                                                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment