Saturday, December 24, 2016

a picture is worth a thousand words...roughly

This story was inspired by this picture


It was Christmas Eve many many years ago, when a miracle happened. What the miracle was, well, you'll just have to read on to find that out. 

I was at the lake near my house. I stopped to eat lunch and take pictures of the beautiful fog over the water. It was Christmas Eve and nearing 70 degrees. This was Texas, so that's not really surprising, but it had been really cold lately, so that, mixed with the new warmer more humid air, caused the fog. I had just taken a picture of the lake, capturing how you couldn't see across to the other side, when all of a sudden the sun shone rays through the clouds onto the water and there was a sudden flash of light. Like as if God had taken a picture with the flash on. I thought I saw something fall slowly out of the sky, but it was too far away to be sure. I looked out over the water, covering my hands over my eyes and squinted, trying to see better through the newly out sun. Suddenly the being was gliding across the water towards me. It looked like a woman! Her hair, golden as the sun, flowed all around her. 

"Are you seeing this?" I asked a girl nearby with her dog, taking pictures of the fog, like I had been doing. :See what?" she asked looking out into the lake. But her expression told me she didn't see anything. Her dog suddenly broke loose from the leash she was holding and she ran after him. "Roscoe!" She called after him. 

I looked back out at the lake and the floating celestial being was even closer to the shore. I started to back up, walking backwards so quickly that I fell over onto my back. "Are you ok?" I heard her voice before I saw her. It was silly smooth, like cotton candy. It was beautiful and magical somehow. It was a voice that I could tell I wouldn't mind listening to every day for the rest of my life. I sat up and saw her standing before me. My eyes were wide. My mouth dropped open. She smiled sweetly at me. Her tall thin body was clothed with a flowing gown. I couldn't even tell if it was actual material, it looked almost iridescent. My mouth was still opened but I couldn't speak. All I could do was stare at her. She was the most beautiful being I had ever seen in my life. Her hair seemed to be blowing behind her despite the fact that there wasn't a breeze to be found. She continued to look back at me with a sly smile, like she knew more than I did. Like she knew everything. Her eyes were huge and a beautiful sea green blue. I stumbled over my words, "what? Who? Where?" I couldn't form a sentence. She chuckled at me and came over to help me up off the ground. It hadn't occurred to me to get up, and the ground was wet since it had rained earlier in the day. She knelt down and took my hand in hers. It was like immediate connection. Electricity flowed through her to me. I almost pulled away because it was so intense. It was like a spark but it didn't hurt. My heart started to pound faster as she pulled me to my feet. I didn't let go of her hand and she didn't pull away. I didn't take my eyes off of hers and she did the same. "Who are you?" I asked in absolute amazement. She thought for a second and said. "Hmm...I'm your soulmate, Christie." That was when I let go of her hand, pulling away. Breaking eye contact and retreating back from her. "How do you know my name?" I asked her. She shrugged. "I don't know. I just do. My name is Olivia. My friends call me Liv." "Your friends?" I asked. "And what friends are these? Angels?" I asked half joking. I lightly laughed but looked at her out of the corner of my eye to see if she would confirm my suspicion. She lightly laughed back. "I'm not an angel. Angels have always been angels. I'm very much human. I'm having a hard time remembering. But I think I used to be...alive," she said as she pondered this with a bit of confusion on her face. I stared back at her. Now I was starting to think she was a crazy person. Like she had escaped from a mental institute and I should be trying to get away from her or find her help. But the way she got here. The flash of light. The whole scene flashed through my mind again and I knew she wasn't crazy. I just knew. I had been looking at the ground, processing it all. But when I looked back up at her, her hair wasn't magically blowing anymore. Her dress wasn't glowing. It was just white. Her face and body was the same as before, but she looked more human. Normal. She wasn't this celestial being I thought I saw a minute ago. I shook my head. I looked around but no one was nearby. I couldn't confirm her existence without someone else here to talk to, to say they saw her too. I didn't know what to do. She didn't seem to know what to do either. She looked a little lost. I felt the urge to grab her hand again and help her. So I did. And the rush I felt before, when she helped me up, was even stronger. Our connection strengthened. It was almost like a download on a computer. She was being downloaded into me and I into her. I felt like I couldn't let go this time so I led us a few feet to the bench and we sat down, both of us never once taken our eyes off each other. We sat there holding hands, looking into each other's eyes until tears started to stream down our faces and at the exact same time I fell into her arms and she wrapped her arms around me and held me tightly. "I've been waiting for you Liv. For my whole life," I said to her. "Me too," she whispered back, her voice cracking as she broke down as well. We stayed that way even longer. We looked out at the lake. The fog was dissipating and the sun was out but there were no longer rays of sun coming through clouds. The clouds were parted and she sun shone bright. We had calmed ourselves but hadn't let go. It was almost as if we were both afraid that if we did, she would disappear and go back to wherever she came from and I would be left here on this bench all alone, back to the way I was before. So we stayed that way. Until one of us was brave enough to speak up and let go, see what happens. We pulled apart at the same exact time, sighing a sigh of relief as we looked at each other. She was still there. She was still very much alive. She was very much real. I had felt her heart beat when she was holding me. I had felt her breath on my neck. What would happen next, I don't think either one of us knew. But somehow, deep down, in the depths of my soul I knew. This was it. She was the one. She would always be by my side, no matter what. She had fallen from the sky and I had fallen for her. Somehow, someway, my soul mate had finally found me.

No comments:

Post a Comment